Question: Immunization

truesober4 - Fri May 18, 2007 8:25 pm

My 3 and a half year old was given 6 shots yesterday and came to find out that it was 6 months before she should have had them. She slept for 8 hrs. today and now seems to just be worn out. My question is, could any complacations come from this and is her ammuned system low.
Thank You
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat May 19, 2007 4:35 am

User avatar It is unlikely that there is any damage caused by receiving the vaccines early. The question becomes whether or not an adequate immune response will occur.

In general, if a vaccine is given too early it is recommended that it be repeated once the proper amount of time has elapsed to ensure a strong immune response.

I would recommend discussing this with your pediatrician.

truesober4 - Sat May 19, 2007 5:03 am

Dr. Chan Lowe wrote:It is unlikely that there is any damage caused by receiving the vaccines early. The question becomes whether or not an adequate immune response will occur.

I was also concerned because my child could not stay awake for at least 8 hrs. the next day. Why? I also do not understand why her doctor felt it was better to give her 6 shots all at once claiming it would be less tramatic for the child. I can tell you that it was very tramatic. I also kept the doctores office informed of what was happening to her but felt that I needed another opinon to put my mind at ease. Thank you again.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat May 19, 2007 9:56 am

User avatar I assume her bahavior is back to normal now? If so, the excess sleepiness may have been her way of coping with the pain of the injections (and fatique from crying, etc.). I'm sorry the schedule was not followed correctly but I agreed with Dr. Lowe that it is unlikely to be a problem for her. If her behavior continues to be unusual, have her checked out by the doctor. Generally, having multiple shots together does not increase the risks in any way. It is traumatic at the time for a child to get so many and some people prefer to come back and get some at another time but, as they told you, this is sometimes worse because the child is subjected to the pain again, rather than getting it all over with at once. It is your choice which way you do it. Unfortunately, if any of the injections require the later date in order to "count" your child will still have to endure the second episode anyway.

Vaccines are an important part of keeping everyone healthy and it's so nice we no longer have to deal with so many of the terrible diseases that used to harm and even kill so many children long before they grew up. But the scheduling can be confusing. If you want more information in addition to your doctor, you can also contact your local health department regarding whether or not any of the vaccines need to be repeated to be effective in the long term. It just depends on the vaccine and the "rules" that are established regarding their use.

Thank you for writing. Let us know if you have other concerns.
 truesober4 - Sun May 20, 2007 6:16 am

Debbie Miller, RN wrote:I assume her bahavior is back to normal now? If so, the excess sleepiness may have been her way of coping with the pain of the injections (and fatique from crying, etc.). I'm sorry the schedule was not followed correctly but I agreed with Dr. Lowe that it is unlikely to be a problem for her. If her behavior continues to be unusual, have her checked out by the doctor. Generally, having multiple shots together does not increase the risks in any way. It is traumatic at the time for a child to get so many and some people prefer to come back and get some at another time but, as they told you, this is sometimes worse because the child is subjected to the pain again, rather than getting it all over with at once. It is your choice which way you do it. Unfortunately, if any of the injections require the later date in order to "count" your child will still have to endure the second episode anyway.

I just wanted to let you no that she was in like a type of deep sleep, she could not stay awake. I can asure you that it was not from crying or the pain of the shots, this is why I have been so consurned. As we no all children react differenty and something happened to my child that shouldn't have and I no it was from the six shots. Yes next time I will allow two shots at a time weather it effects my work or her going to school.. The end result of all this taking place to begin with was unnessary because of an office that hadn't loged in her shots and my paper meant nothing to them. What is loged into the system is what counts. I thank you all so much for writing me and I will tell all moms about your site.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon May 21, 2007 12:47 am

User avatar Thanks for the update. I hope your daughter is doing OK now.

|