News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: How long for menstrual cycles to start coming regularly

cherbrig - Sun May 20, 2007 12:13 pm

My 13 ½ year old daughter started having her period October 2006 at the age of 13. We keep track of her cycle on a calendar. But it never comes every 28 days. At times there will only be 15 days between periods. As well as times where there is 40 days between her periods. They always last exactly 7 days. And are heavy from the first day. She experiences heavy cramping, bloating and tenderness with each period. The only routine about her periods is the length and the cramping. When will they start coming on schedule. Mine were always every 28 days like clockwork, so was my mom, her sisters and her mother. Her pediatrician said that it should only take a few months for them to get regular. Could this be a sign of an underlying problem?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun May 20, 2007 6:56 pm

User avatar For some girls it can take upwards of 1-2 years before they become really regular. Normal cycle lengths can vary from 3 weeks to 2 months. I would not be concerned about her continued irregularity at this point.

I suspect that over time her periods will become more regular.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here