Question: Rabies vaccine?

Kate1982 - Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:59 am

I found my 14 year old son playing in a dog's drinking water when I went to pick him up from his former babysitter's house. She said that the dog was up to date on all of his shots but couldn't provide any proof. He didn't have any open sores but I'm worried that he might have put his hands in his mouth. The dog was known to escape the yard and wander but he seemed perfectly healthy for about a week afterward, then she gave the dog away. I was wondering if he would need to get a rabies shot from simply coming into contact with the dogs water and are there any other potential illnesses I should be worried about. This happened about a week ago and he doesn't act ill at all.
Thank you
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:52 am

User avatar Hi Kate1982,
In my opinion, this would not be a reason for concern. Think of this in another aspect. In you sons last 14 years has he ever pet a dog and the dog licked him? This essentially is no different. Transmission of diseases such as rabies is typically through a bite that breaks the skin. The risk of disease and occurrence of transmission would be much higher in a wild animal. Again, don't be concerned.
 Kate1982 - Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:30 am

Thank you so much for the quick reply. I should clear up though that my son is 14 months, I guess I was typing to fast. Thanks again for easing my mind on this subject.

|