News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: My 17 month old baby's urine smells abnormal

fedrovfan91 - Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:07 pm

My 17 month old daughter had been running a low fever and when I took her to the doctor, I was told that she had a "little virus". Her throat was a little red, and the fever were the only obvious symptoms. The doctor said that the tylenol I had been giving her was fine and that she did not need any other type of prescription...A few days later, she seemed to be getting better...she had no fever, she wasn't coughing like she had been, and she was back to her normal, active self. Now it's a few days later, and she is coughing again, is pretty crabby, and a fever...pretty much, her symptoms are exactly what they were last week, with one added difference...Her urine has an abnormal (and strong) smell to it. My question is regarding this new change...Could this have anything to do with her recent "virus", if not, what could be causing this, and lastly, should I be concerned? If anyone has any advice, input, or answer, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:37 pm

User avatar The urine can take on a funny smell for many reasons. It may be that she is a little dehydrated or may also indicate an infection.

Urine infections can be viral and may be associated with her viral cold she has. More commonly they are bacterial and will need some antibiotics to clear up.

If her fever persists or if she continues to be ill I would recommend that she see her doctor for a urine analysis/culture and reevaluation.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here