News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: treatment for undescended testes

lovely - Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:14 am

I'm 32 yrs.of age a mother,my son have an undescended testes and he is 1yr.5months now.We never get this treated ever since,though doctors recommend us to bring him for operation to get the testis bring down.But due of financial problem we havent done it.
My mum told me that he has the same case with my big brother when he was a child but it goes down without any medication taken.But i'm still worried about my child,and cant just wait for the time that it will go down like my big brother,and how about if not, what will I should do.I would love to know if theres any treatment or oral medication taken for this problem since he is still below 2 yrs old..Please do help me and thanks.Have a blessed day to each and everyone.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:13 pm

User avatar Hello, Lovely,
I certainly understand your concern, and your confusion. As your mother learned, sometimes the undescended testicle does come down without intervention, often by one year of age. If not, there are hormone injections of testosterone that sometimes help encourage the descent. You could inquire about that.

It is recommended that if it does not descend on its own by one year of age, it should be evaluated. Sometimes the missing testicle can be felt but often surgery is the only definitive diagnosis. The purpose of this would be primarily to determine if it is truly an undescended testicle as opposed to a congenitally absent one. Obviously if there is no testicle there, no further worry. A man can function fine with only one.

But, on the other hand, if it is present and remains undescended, literature suggests that he could be at higher risk for cancer and the chances are it would be nonfunctional anyway if left untreated. If the testicle is brought down surgically, it improves his chances for normal function, including fertility.

I hope you will be able to get the care you need for your son to be evaluated by age one. Good luck and best wishes to you and your son.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:51 pm

User avatar Hi Lovely,

I'd just like to add one more reason to have the surgery. As Debbie has said, with undescended testes there is an increased risk of cancer. If the testis is not brought down into the scrotum it cannot be examined for the presence of abnormal masses making it much more difficult to detect a cancer early.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here