News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 9 year old. lump in abdomen.

mumsnmbr1 - Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:06 pm

I have a 9 year old son. He found a lump in his abdomen about the size of a pea. It is located more above his hip bone on left side. I took him to the doctor and she did cbc (?) bloodwork. We have appt. on Friday for ultrasound. With his bloody nose's he's been having and the lump she had mentioned Leukemia. Fortunately, we got positive results from bloodwork today. Everything is fine. My question is can he still have a cancer with bloodwork coming back fine? What could be a cause of the lump?
I really thank you for your time.
He is on no medications.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:32 pm

User avatar Hi Mumsnmbr1,

The CBC is a decent screening test for leukemia. It is not perfect, nor does it screen for all types of childhood cancers. So, it is still a possibility that there is a cancer.

That being said, I think the chances are quite low. Most likely your child may be feeling a lymph node or possibly a lipoma (a benign fat cell tumor).

The ultrasound should be helpful in better characterizing the mass. If there is still suspicion, a small biopsy can be done to definitively determine what the mass is.

Best wishes. Keep us updated if you don't mind.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here