Question: Large cluster of lymphnodes in axillary region

sasha1245 - Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:22 pm

My son is 3 years and 8 months. He has recently had knot come up in rt axillary region. We have taken to the doctor, he has had an u/s, it is a cluster of 3 enlarged lymph nodes. He also had several labs done, no cat scratch fever, no epstein barr, all the labs were negative. He has absolutely no symptoms. He is a healthy, talkative, non-sleepy child. They have told me they will just monitor it, do you have any ideas on what it could be, should I continue to worry?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:07 am

User avatar Hi Sasha1245,

There are many causes of enlarged lymph nodes. Most commonly it is due to a recent infection that the lymph nodes are helping to fight off. The infection may be in the arm or possibly in the chest (a pneumonia or other infection).

If your son is otherwise well, it seems reasonable to continue to monitor the nodes. If they are enlarging or not going away over the next few weeks to months further testing should be done.

This may include a biopsy of the lymph node to see what is causing it to enlarge. A repeat ultrasound may or may not be helpful depending on how well the lymph nodes can be felt by direct examination.

|