Question: leg, arm, skin issues

neverland - Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:18 pm

I am female and seventeen, have no allergies, taking no medications, haven’t had any recent injuries, don’t play sports, no surgeries, no past diagnosis, and haven’t started any new activities. I have been having pain in my arms and legs specifically my right arm. Nothing brings it on it just comes and makes it hard to sleep a lot. At times my right arm will hurt so that it hurts to move it or lift it. It is not muscle pain, it is more of a deep ache in the bones. I told my doctor this but she says muscles are in these areas and I did something without noticing. It has been going on for about a month but worse last two weeks. In the past few weeks I have been getting little red dots on my arms which have spread, I also have some on my legs. They are small and flat like I jabbed myself with a sharp toothpick. My doctor forgot I told her about them and when she looked said she could do a blood test but that they were probably just freckles, maybe from the sun. My mom looked and said they weren’t, especially because I haven’t been out in the sun barely any this summer, I am pale, and have these dots on my thighs and I don’t wear shorts higher than my knees. I also had this purple like rash on my right arm made up of bigger purple flat dots that lasted for awhile, didn’t hurt, and came about for no reason. I have been really tired lately, and have bruises on my legs, one which I have had for three weeks and isn’t going away. My mom is thinking of switching doctors, any advice?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:16 am

User avatar Hi Neverland,

I think you need to have more work up done. I suspect that the spots you are seeing do not loose their color (blanch) if you push on them. If this is the case, you likely have petechiae which are really very tiny bruises.

This may be because your platelets are low. I would strongly recommend a CBC to evaluate your platelets and your red blood cell levels. There are several things that can cause the platelets to drop.

There really are many different possibilities of what is going on given your symptoms of the rash and the arm/leg pain. It is a bit too long to discuss in depth.

I would recommend you see your doctor and have some more work up done because some of the things on the list are more severe.

Please feel free to post follow up questions and I'm happy to continue to help give you information. If you happen to have a few more specifics about what you are experiencing or any lab results I can probably give you some more specific information.

|