Question: Autism and Body Temp.

the1thatgotaway29 - Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:54 pm

I am posting for my daughter she has ASD, I am concerned for her in this terrible heat of the summer. She seems to have her hot and cold oppsite. I have a hard time getting to dress for the right weather. On a hot day she will often wear warmer clothes, I can get her to drink lots of water, and in a cooler bath, but she sometimes complains a cool bath is hot. I am just worried she may over heat and become sick in the hot weather, any sugestions please. Do you think she could become dehydrated from sweating out so much water, from being over dressed? [/b]
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:37 pm

User avatar It sounds like she has sensory issues, common with ASDs. If she is drinking adequately, it is unlikely there is any danger with overdressing. Of course if you see any signs of dehydration or she becomes lethargic, her eyes and mouth become dry, etc. it could be a sign she needs to drink more. But, considering a scantily dressed person who exercises and sweats a lot without becoming dehydrated, it is unlikely that she will be in danger. You did not give her age and the younger the child the more the concern about possible dehydration. Babies can become dehydrated very quickly with diarrhea but adults do not.

|