Question: Recurrent Tonsilitis

Khan71 - Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:33 am

Dear Sirs,

My son who is 10yrs and 9 months now, has had recurrent tonsilitis for about 7 yrs nows. The frequency is 5-6 in a year and only antibiotics help him get better. His fever then is high grade. most of the doctors ask me to go for tonsilectomy but i am not in favour. He develops pus in either tonsils or both. His strep test was done and there was heavy presence of group G. His ASO is normal. Then again his strep was done and there was no strep growth.

Can any dr. suggest any vitamins etc. that can help be more immune to infections. We have stopped his ketchup. I though the cat home maybe a problem for him but her removal did not work either. I am his father and asthmatic too.

Thank for your suggestions in advance.

Best Regards

Khan
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:02 am

User avatar Hi Khan71,

There are a few things that come to mind when I hear a case like this. The first, and probably most common, reason I can think of for this is that the tonsils are colonized with strep. In this case, when a child gets a fever and is tested, the test comes back positive but the bacteria is not actually causing infection. Instead it is just living there peacefully.

Another possibility is that your son is getting real infections and he is not building up immunity. This in itself is not particularly concerning; however, if he is getting other infections, particularly with other forms of strep, it may be wise to have him tested for an immunodeficiency. These are fairy rare.

It was once thought that only Group A strep was concerning for developing rheumatic fever; however, there are now many case reports of other types of strep causing rheumatic fever (although less commonly than Group A).

Strengthening the immune system is generally accomplished by ensuring good nutrition over all and staying physically fit.

Taking a general multivitamin may help, although I am not familiar with any studies supporting this. Immune studies in children are even less common.

Follow up with his doctor is important.

|