News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 21 month old boy not talking

dianangelo - Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:51 am

Hello,

I have a 21 month old boy who does not speak. He does not say any words. He understands everything, for instance when I tell him to sit down or not to do something. He does not know how to wave Hello or bye. When I say things like, "Can you say Mamma?" He gets mad and grunts at me. He cannot id objects by pointing. But then again, we have not been teaching him this.

He seems very frustrated and screams and makes his body very stiff when he gets mad. He can cry a lot. On the other hand, he likes to play peek a boo, laughs, hugs and gets very happy when he sees my husband come home. He runs to my husband to hug him.

He is in a bilingual home (Italian and English). And we have not had a normal routine almost since his birth- meaning we travel a lot. He does not seem to have a hearing problem because he understands my commands. At the same time - just today I tried making very loud noises - and he didn't turn around. I don't know if that is because he didn't hear or just because he didn't care.

I try to read books with him - but he won't sit still to even look at the colors. He just wants to jump around.

Do you have any thoughts on his behavior? Thank you very much for your time.
 kutya - Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:23 am

I have some similar concerns about my girlfriend's brother. I feel uncomfortable bringing my concerns to her family, as they were very offended when I mentioned something earlier. Their apparent lack of concern has driven me here.
He is 3 years old (Tuesday) and and only occasionally babbles (dadadadada, or bababababa). I've been told he has, on occasion, said his sister's name when he gets excited about her coming, though I've never heard it myself.
He is in a bilingual house as well.
His only mode of communication is pointing.
He seems to understand some of what is said to him, though he seems to ignore much of what is said to him. He also almost completely ignores loud noises. Yelling his name or loudly clapping just out of his visual field elicits no response -- not even a flinch or a blink.
He likes to have books read to him. He turns the pages (by pushing them with his index finger) one at a time. He points to the pages as well, but he doesn't seem to follow the stories. He can apparently distinguish the different languages and brings the books to the appropriate reader.
He did not walk until approximately 22 1/2 months and never crawled.
He loves to horse-play and does not avoid touching.
He is not potty trained.
I believe a fragile X test was performed shortly after birth, and it was ruled out.
He has a developmentally disabled (maternal) aunt.
His father was 55 at the time of his birth.
 kutya - Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:39 am

Correction --
He did not walk until 26 1/2 months

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here