Question: 4 YO with large lump on chest HELP

KMS1383 - Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:29 pm

My son is 4 years old and up till now has been a perfectly healthy, and active child. This morning I noticed he had a swelling on his chest through his shirt. He took his shirt off and I saw a very large, raised lump. It is not red and is not mushy. It is very hard and feels as though his rib cage has pushed out and feels bone-like but not at all smooth. He is not complaining of any pain and he is acting normal.

I called his pediatrician and he has an appointment soon but I am very tempted to take him to the ER.

Do you have any ideas of what this could be and why it came up overnight??? I am naturally freaked out. There is no sign of brusing and I am with him all the tme and know he has not injured himself.

He does drink tons of milk, could it be a calcium deposit? Any advice or ideas are appreciated as I am going nuts with wondering!!!!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:00 am

User avatar I believe you will be fine to see your doctor as planned since you have an appointment soon. Without pain or other symptoms it is probably not an emergency condition.

I understand your worry as his mother, but if you are very worried you could call your pediatrician and explain your distress, perhaps getting an expedited appointment.

KMS1383 - Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:07 pm

I wanted to leave behind an update just in case another parent notices the same thing going on with their own child. He saw his pediatrician yesterday and she noticed his heart murmer is back and stronger than ever. He just had a heart echo done this morning and we are awaiting the news. Its either his heart is enlarging, or he has a bone deformity which my great-grandfather and myself had and currently have. We will have results in a couple of days and then we will be referred to the appropriate specialist. Thank you for your reply!

|