Question: a deformity in my daughters throat

Melissa Washington - Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:53 pm

When my daughter was born I brought her home from the hospital though I was uncomfortable with the way her breathing sounded. The doctor assured me that she was fine. That night I had to rush her to the hospital. She was crying and the more she cried the more she seemed to not be able to breath. To make a long story short they ended up doing a test putting dye through her veins. They found that she has an artery going across her throat instead of up and down. After learning CPR I did bring her home with a breathing monitor. I was told that her throat would get stronger as she gets older and she would be able to handle the problem. She is better though I think it does seem to affect her when she cries hard or gets upset. Her throat will sound funny. I have a questions, She is now 8 and the word they used for this condition was long and I never documented the name. I'm trying to find out so that I can make sure I have it in her medical records. I'm also wanting the name so that I can see if there are any problems that can come from this. Thank you to anybody that can help me out
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:23 am

Several abnormalities can cause the picture you have described. These abnormalities are generally referred to as vascular rings. They lead to compression of trachea and esophagus due to abnormalities in development of the great vessels including:

1) Right-sided aortic arch
2) Double aortic arch
3) Anomalous right subclavian artery
4) Aberrant left pulmonary artery

Do any of these terms ring a bell?
 Melissa Washington - Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:52 pm

I am going to look these up and see if it describes what my daughter went through though they had a long name for the problem. But after looking these problems up i will probably come across the name. Thank you very much. You have been a help.

|