News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: a deformity in my daughters throat

Melissa Washington - Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:53 pm

When my daughter was born I brought her home from the hospital though I was uncomfortable with the way her breathing sounded. The doctor assured me that she was fine. That night I had to rush her to the hospital. She was crying and the more she cried the more she seemed to not be able to breath. To make a long story short they ended up doing a test putting dye through her veins. They found that she has an artery going across her throat instead of up and down. After learning CPR I did bring her home with a breathing monitor. I was told that her throat would get stronger as she gets older and she would be able to handle the problem. She is better though I think it does seem to affect her when she cries hard or gets upset. Her throat will sound funny. I have a questions, She is now 8 and the word they used for this condition was long and I never documented the name. I'm trying to find out so that I can make sure I have it in her medical records. I'm also wanting the name so that I can see if there are any problems that can come from this. Thank you to anybody that can help me out
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:23 am

User avatar Hello,
Several abnormalities can cause the picture you have described. These abnormalities are generally referred to as vascular rings. They lead to compression of trachea and esophagus due to abnormalities in development of the great vessels including:

1) Right-sided aortic arch
2) Double aortic arch
3) Anomalous right subclavian artery
4) Aberrant left pulmonary artery

Do any of these terms ring a bell?
 Melissa Washington - Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:52 pm

I am going to look these up and see if it describes what my daughter went through though they had a long name for the problem. But after looking these problems up i will probably come across the name. Thank you very much. You have been a help.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here