Question: 6 year old male with 10-15 mouth ulcers

momof2Ks - Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:26 pm

My 6 year old son has 10-15 mouth ulcers that look like canker sores. They have been present for 2 months and went from 1 to now the 10-15. We saw his pediatrician who took a culture and said it was not Herpes. She also put him on an anti-viral medication and a lidocaine mouthwash. These ulcers are now bleeding several times a day and they do not seem to be getting better. They range in size with the largest being the size of a dime. He is in horrible pain and I am being told just to fiish the meds and he can be rechecked if the ulcers are still present when finished. What should I do and do you have any idea what they could be?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:45 pm

User avatar Hi Momof2K's,

Oral ulcers can occur for a few reasons. Testing for herpes was completely appropriate. How was this done? To accurately test for herpes a swab must be taken of the bottom of an ulcer, not the fluid. If this was done properly and the culture was negative it is unlikely to be the herpes virus. Also 2 months is a bit of a long time for herpes ulcers to remain.

Other possibilities include a condition such as Crohn's disease or a rare disease called Behcet's disease. He is pretty young to develop Behcet's but it is still possible.

It would also be a good idea to do some screening immunology labs to make sure his immune system is OK.

If the lesions are not resolving I would suggest he see either an infectious disease doctor or an ear, nose and throat doctor.

|