Question: Bug Bites

hotmama23 - Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:02 pm

My daughter is 4 years old and has two large bug bites. One is one her left forearm. It is red and very swollen, hot and hard to the touch. She has another one on her left leg. It's also red, swollen, hot, and hard to the touch. What can I do for my daughter so it doesn't hurt and won't itch? I don't want to have to take her to the doctors office just to get cream when I can treat it at home.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:44 pm

User avatar Hi Hotmama23,

Occasionally, bug bites can become infected. When they are infected the redness continues to spread, they are painful and hot feeling. If you believe these are infected she should see her doctor as soon as possible.

If it is just red from the bite you can try using an over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream (0.5% or 1%). It can be applied 2 or 3 times per day for a short period of time (no more than a few days) to help the itch some. This cream is a bit weak but it is the strongest that can be bought without a prescription.

|