News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Bug Bites

hotmama23 - Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:02 pm

My daughter is 4 years old and has two large bug bites. One is one her left forearm. It is red and very swollen, hot and hard to the touch. She has another one on her left leg. It's also red, swollen, hot, and hard to the touch. What can I do for my daughter so it doesn't hurt and won't itch? I don't want to have to take her to the doctors office just to get cream when I can treat it at home.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:44 pm

User avatar Hi Hotmama23,

Occasionally, bug bites can become infected. When they are infected the redness continues to spread, they are painful and hot feeling. If you believe these are infected she should see her doctor as soon as possible.

If it is just red from the bite you can try using an over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream (0.5% or 1%). It can be applied 2 or 3 times per day for a short period of time (no more than a few days) to help the itch some. This cream is a bit weak but it is the strongest that can be bought without a prescription.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here