News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: child constipation

vemjsa - Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:31 pm

My two year old son has been constipated for the past month. It has been an ongoing situation with constant visits to his doctor with results that he is fine and the symptoms are normal. He poops one day and then is constipated for the next three days. When he does poop, it looks painful as he cries and holds his body in a tightening motion as to not allow any poop to come out. I have tried suppositories, laxatives, baking soda, hot soda, and sugar water and all with no luck of ending the constipation. I then tried castor oil and he is now beginning to poop, but it is still painful for him and I can not bear to watch him. I have even stopped giving him milk and any sorts of dairy products. What is wrong? What is the cause of this? What can I do to end this pain for him? Please help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:55 pm

User avatar Concentrate on changing his diet by encouraging lots more fluids (water, juice; not soda or milk). If he is even a little bit dehydrated, constipation will result. To encourage this you might give him some popsicles or frozen juice bars.

Try to increase his dietary fiber. Don't allow him white, refined flour bread, but give him whole grains only. His cereal should consist of whole grains such as oatmeal, cream of wheat, granola; not sweetened "fun" cereal. You can also add bran into some of your cooking to increase his fiber. Make bran muffins and add little treasures such as dried fruit and raisins. Top the muffin with some fruit jam, honey, or cream cheese to make it fun. Fresh fruits and vegetables should be provided abundantly. Try to make these foods fun and appetizing with dips, etc.

Then work on the bowel training by making some fun potty time. Create a positive atmosphere with books to "read" or something to listen to while he tries to perform. Give him a footstool and help him be comfortable without pressure and stress. However, you do want to do this at regular intervals following a meal. Even if he doesn't feel the urge, getting this habit going will often result in a more relaxed experience with less "holding." Try to be mostly matter-of-fact about this, not saying anything that adds more pressure and stress to the situation. Just explain that this is what he needs to do to feel better, just as you might let him know he must take a bath, etc. - just part of life, but it can be made pleasant.

I know this is frustrating but it can be overcome with patience and creativity. Good luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here