News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: diabetes in children

monica2980 - Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:09 pm

My son is 8 years old and he's obese,on the last doctors visit he had a urine sugar test for diabetes and it came out negative,are this tests accurate?he doesnt have diabetes symptoms,the only thing is that he is obese.
 monica2980 - Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:13 pm

[quote="monica2980"]My son is 8 years old and he's obese,
on the last doctors visit he had a urine sugar test for diabetes and it came out negative,
are this tests accurate?he doesnt have diabetes symptoms,
the only thing is that he is obese.What are the most common symptoms of diabetes in children who are obese.
 monica2980 - Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:15 pm

My son is 8 years old and he's obese,
on the last doctors visit he had a urine sugar test for diabetes and it came out negative,
are this tests accurate?
What are the most common symptoms of diabetes in children who are obese?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:39 pm

User avatar Hi Monica2980,

The urine test for blood sugar is an indirect measure of blood sugar levels. When the blood sugar levels rise above a certain level (variable but usually around 180) the kidney is no longer able to reabsorb all the filtered sugar and sugar begins to rise in the urine. The tests are quite accurate.

There are other tests that can be used to look for rising blood sugars. These include fasting blood sugar levels and a test called Hemoglobin A1c. The Hemoglobin A1c is a long term measure of blood sugar levels. If they are generally elevated this test will show an elevated level.

Typically, diabetes begins to present with increasing thirst, increased urination and increased hunger. Type 2 diabetes (insulin resistance) that commonly goes along with obesity can often be somewhat asymptomatic so occasional testing is reasonable. The urine test is nice in that it doesn't need a painful blood draw and can be done rapidly in the office. One may also notice a darkening of the skin around the neck and on the knuckles. This would be an indication of insulin resistance and can be an early indicator of developing diabetes.

Best wishes.
 monica2980 - Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:54 am

Thanks Doctor for answering my question, so do you think my son needs to have a blood test done or with the urine test is enough?my son does not have any symptoms but since he's obese then they decided to do the urine test.now the doctors worried me and i'm thinking about the blood test,but i just don't want my son to go through that trouble if he really doesnt need it,what do you think?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:16 pm

User avatar If he does not have any other symptoms the urine test should suffice. If you are concerned or if there are other symptoms it is very reasonable to test his blood.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here