Question: Infant fingers bent?

skimom - Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:47 pm

After my son started opening and closing his hands independently, I noticed that the tips of his index fingers were often bent. Now that he is 7 months old,he often points at things. When his index fingers are fully or near fully extended while waving or pointing, the tip is bent (the DIP joint is flexed). This is most noticable on the left but also present on the right hand. On the left hand, it often looks like his PIP joint is a little hyperextended when he is waving or pointing. .

When he is sleeping or relaxing his hand, I am able to straighten the "bend" at the tip without difficulty, but is seems to favor staying a little flexed.

Do you think this is a problem?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:15 am

User avatar Hi Skimom,

The fact that you are able to bend his fingers to a straight position is reassuring that there are no fixed contractures or short tendons. Most likely this will resolve over time.

I would recommend you bring it to your son's doctor's attention at this next well check.

|