News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 7 month old girl/ high fever/enlarged head

graystreak29 - Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:37 am

[i][/i][i]This is a 7 month old girl. There has been no dianogis as no one knows what is the matter. She was born unable to suck. Ears and eyes ok. Her head is growing also. It is larger then a normal baby size at her age. MRI's show no fluid on the brain. She has high temps of 105 every two weeks. It now takes more than a half hour to get her to bottle feed. Need to know what is wrong and how to treat it. Mother is 27 years old and had menigitis when she was 7 years old. No medications that I know of at this time. Can anyone help? Thanks. [/i]
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:07 pm

User avatar Hi Graystreak29,

I think this child probably needs evaluated by a pediatric neurologist. She may need further imaging studies to look for progressive changes in her brain.

I would be concerned that the fevers may be due to some autonomic dysregulation of the hypothalamus (the temperature control center of the brain). This may be due to increased pressure. Increased pressure could also be causing the head to grow rapidly.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here