Question: Pectus excavatum

Mom32 - Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:43 am

My son is 4 yrs old, and has a diagnosis of PDD-NOS. He has had no surgeries and is not on any medications.
He does, however, have a sunken chest, or pectus excavatum. His doctor didn't mention this to me, but when I asked him about it he did say that he had noted it previously. The doctor also said that if he were going to have any cardiac or respiratory problems as a result of this condition, it would have presented at birth.
I would like to get another opinion about this because I have heard that this condition can get worse during adolescence. Should I press my doctor on this?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:44 pm

User avatar Hi Mom32,

Pectus Excavatum is relatively common. For most people it does not get worse. It simply remains as a small indentation.

For some it can progress, and in some cases it can be quite severe. When the indentation becomes severe enough to start causing problems there is a surgical procedure to help fix the problem. Basically a metal bar is inserted under the rib cage to hold it back in the correct position. This surgery is fairly major and generally is not done unless it is really needed.

I would recommend you continue to follow this. If the pectus begins to deepen you can discuss it with your doctor again. Odds are that it won't.

|