News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: my 12 yr old needs help

moomom - Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:00 am

my 12 yr old daughter is fghting a weight problem. she is 5'4" 182lbs and her shoe size is a 11. i have over the past few months changed our eating habits because of a medical problem of my husbands, and he lost 50 lbs, i lost 25 lbs my 14 yr old is 5'10' and 190 lbs,and he lost 15 lbs but my girl gained 20{now at 182} i have found her sneaking food, she is constantly picked on at school, she has no friends, wont play sports, and a A student. i am at my wits end. we talk constantly about healthy eating, exercise that i have to force her to do, i have healthy snacks no sodas, lots of water, and we are making changes but she is getting bigger. her doctor says she needs to drink only water and cut her food down to nothing, plus exercise. but how do you look at your child when she says she is hungry and denie her? what more can i do? the doctors just say the same thing , and its not helping. any thoughts?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:38 pm

User avatar Dear Moomom,

Has your daughter reached puberty yet? If not, i hope that when she starts to be more aware of her body, that she will initiate the changes needed herself. The problem is the change has to come from oneself otherwise i am not sure what the effects of that on your daughter's psyche will be in the future with all of the eating disorders put in mind.

You can make your daughter meet with a professional nutritionist, try to make her aware of all the negative health effects of being overweight and how that obesity has become the number one target on the list of health problems because of all of the negative health effects that it has.

After that, i think you have to let it up to her to decide the way she would like to live her life.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here