Question: Symptoms in 3 month old twin-cerebral palsy?

multiplemommy - Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:47 pm

I am 29 with a healthy 2 year old son and 3 month old twin girls. Had a normal pregnancy w/ no complications. At ultrasounds baby B head circumfrence measured small. Baby's were born @ 37 weeks a healthy 6 lbs each. Baby B head in 5th percentile. I was told this did not mean anything. I have since noticed a head tilt to the right almost all the time. Sister holds head centered. She also has some strange posturing. She arches back & stiffens up. She can be very rigid & not "form" to you when you hold her. I feel the spasicity etc.. will eventually be diagnosed as cerebral palsy. Is there any way it could be diagnosed this young? Also is there something else this could be? Could it be normal?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:05 pm

I can certainly understand your worry and concern. The problem with a diagnosis of cerebral palsy is that it is not something that usually happens over night. It often manifests in subtle ways which could also be indicative of other problems. So, health care providers are usually cautious in jumping to the term of cerebral palsy.

Parents, like yourself, who have had other children are usually quicker to pick up on unusual behaviors in a child or even just little "quirks" that may be nothing to worry about. In your case it is even more apparent when you have another child at the identical age and stage of life to compare.

Keep notes of the little things you notice that concern you so when you see a doctor or other specialist, you will remember all the symptoms you have noticed. This can be easily forgotten once you are in the office or clinic.

Keep in mind that babies can be amazing in their ability to compensate for certain neurological glitches. This is another reason that one usually doesn't jump right on a diagnosis of CP. A baby's brain can repair itself much easier than an adult brain can. While the child may have some motor impairments it may be very mild and compensation can be made resulting in great progress in other motor skills. Also, a baby's nervous system organizes over time

If you are in the U.S. you should have access to services through Early Intervention or other such programs to help in a diagnosis and in treatment. Check with your local health department to inquire about such a program, sometimes referred to as Baby Watch or some other similar sounding name.

You asked if it could be normal. I would say, yes, this is entirely possible. As mentioned above, your child's system is still coming together and you may find in time, things will just work out to be fine. No problem with you being concerned, however. You are obviously an alert and caring parent. Getting help early can make a difference in the outcome should there be any delays. It's always good to check out these subtle behaviors when you see your pediatrician so point them out. You are with your baby much more than he/she is so you are the expert in her symptoms.

|