News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 19 mo old son may have swallowed a single Magnetix

StarShine3 - Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:35 pm

My 19 month old son may have swallowed a 1 inch long by 1/4 inch around plastic toy with a magnet inside. Poison control told me to watch for gastrointestinal symptoms and that it should pass through and we should take him in for an x-ray tomorrow. I am concerned about waiting. Should I take him in right away? Also, do magnets pose a lead-poisoning or other risk? Thank you for your prompt reply.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:18 pm

User avatar Hi StarShine3,

Magnets can be dangerous if swallowed for the following reason. If more than one magnet or a magnet and a metal object are swallowed they may magnetically stick together in the GI tract. When this happens they may pinch the bowel or even become attached through two separate areas of bowel causing the bowel to become smashed. This smashing can cut off blood flow to the area and lead to potentially serious/life threatening situations. There is at least one case of death reported from this.

If is was for certain only a single magnet and nothing else it should pass just fine. If there is a chance that there was more than one magnet or another metal object swallowed I would recommend taking the child for an x-ray as soon as possible.

If you are certain it was only one magnet and nothing else that may have been swallowed it is reasonable to wait until tomorrow to get an x-ray.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here