Question: Ear lobe infection

Just a Mom - Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:57 pm

My daughter is 9 and had her ears pierced 10 weeks ago. We took her earings out yesterday to put new ones in and one of her lobes had a knot in it. It is not red and there is no puss. She complained how bad it hurt when I tried to put in the new earing and I can feel the knot. We did have to take them out once for a soccer game during the 10 week period we were told to keep them in. What would cause a knot to form inside the lobe? Should she see a doctor?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:20 pm

User avatar This can be normal and will likely resolve in time. You might coat your daughter's earrings in an antibiotic ointment prior to insertion. This acts as a lubricant but could also take care of any slight infection that could also be starting. As the ear holes heal, there is some scar tissue and sometimes re-insertion of earrings can be a little bit difficult, lining up the hole at the front of the lobe with the one at the back. Get into good lighting with hair moved aside so you can visualize the back of the lobe as the earring pokes the skin. This will allow you to see and aim for the proper place.

Of course if you have signs of infection she should see a doctor.

|