Question: My daughter has a rash, allergy induced?

murphy1982 - Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:39 pm

This morning we awoke to my daughter who right cheek is bright red she has areas of hives located in other regions of her body but the one of concern for me is her cheek it is on her right cheek it is bright red and swollen and hot to the touch there is no discomfort to touch it she show no emotion she doesnt even flintch the reason im concerned is that it is red swollen and hot to the touch can allergies do something cause this the redness spreads around to her neck and ear behind the cheek it is red appears to be raised welts like blotches now the actuall hives are located on her chest her pubic region her lower back my fear of the cheek is infection due to swelling redness and the heat but wouldnt she show some kind of discomfort? she is 3 years old and a healthy kid any opinion would be helpful again I realize that you can not give an exact dx because you have not seen the pt but any advice would ease my anxiety thank you for your time regarding this matter
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:11 am

User avatar Hi Murphy1982,

There are several possibilities for this. The description of the cheek is a little concerning for an infection. Interestingly, infections are usually painful so I'm not certain this is what is going on.

The hives may be a reaction to an infection, a virus or any number of other things.

I would recommend she be evaluated by a doctor to see what is going on. If there is a bacterial infection she may need antibiotics.

|