Question: 5 yo pain in penis with bowel movement

kimmad - Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:53 am

This is a strange one to me. For the last couple of days my 5 year old son has complained that his penis hurts while straining with bowel movements. We had him point to exactly where, and he is showing us the shaft of the penis.

What could this possibly be?

This is generally my healthy child - no surgeries or past major illnesses. No meds.

Thanks for your help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:51 pm

User avatar Hi Kimmad,

I'm not exactly certain why this would be happening but I have a thought. The nerves that supply the penis with sensation (the pudendal nerves) run through the pelvis. It may be that due to the constipation the nerves are being pressed on during a bowel movement giving the sensation of pain in the penis.

The other possibility is that your son has a urinary tract infection. Constipation can increase the risk of getting a urine infection.

If this pain continues it would be a good idea to have your son evaluated to be sure there isn't a urine infection. If there isn't, treating the constipation would be the next step to try to resolve the pain.

|