Question: found tiny lump on the back of daughters head

tommy121168 - Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:23 pm

My daughter's DOB: is11/06/06 I found a tiny lump in the back of her head (lower left side back of head in line w/ ear). I brought her to our pedetrician he said it is nothing to worry about. He said it looked like a suboccipital Lymph node. Gave no medication or any information...Its been a month and it has gotten a little bigger. We are in the middle of changing pedetricians. So I don't want to go back to him. Pluse we're moving to another state very soon. Can you please help me understand whats on the back of my daughter head.

Thank You,
Very Worried Dad
Tommy Palumbo
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:13 pm

User avatar Hello Mr. Palumbo,

The area that you are describing does contain lymph nodes. Your description is consistent with this. Lymph nodes can fluctuate in size over time. In particular, if there is an infection they can increase in size dramatically.

Usually following enlargement, lymph nodes will shrink back down but they may remain slightly enlarged (often about pea sized). They are generally mobile (move from side to side relatively easily) and non-painful.

If the lump continues to get bigger it is very reasonable to have your new pediatrician evaluate it once you find one. If the lump becomes painful she should have it checked out sooner.

|