Question: Lump on back of my son's neck

mom123 - Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:25 am

I noticed a small lump on my son's neck when he was 6 months old (he was also cutting his first teeth), 2 months later i noticed it got bigger so i took him to the doctor.he said it is a lymph node and that i should not worry. He is almost 10 months old now and about 2 weeks ago i noticed another lump(exactly the same size and consistency as the first one) on his head,right side(he is cutting his third tooth now) I called the doctor and she didnt want to see him, she said it is a lymph node and has nothing to do with his teeth. He never had a fever before.Should I be worried?
[/b]
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:57 pm

User avatar Hi Mom123,

It is very likely that this lump is also a lymph node. These nodes can increase and decrease in size periodically. Typically, lymph nodes will increase in size when fighting off an infection. The infection may be very mild or unnoticeable.

If the lump becomes painful or continues to increase in size you should have it checked out. Otherwise, it's probably fine to continue observing it.

sashabratz23 - Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:10 pm

My son, 13 yrs. old, had cervical lymph nodes according to the doctor who took our medical examination. However, his chest xray turned out to be negative, meaning his chest is fine. He is not having cough or colds, no symptoms of TB infection, had BCG vaccination when he was a baby, and he is healthy. He was advised to take mantaux skin test, and it turned out positive. The doctor prescribed him isoniazid for 9 mos. and said that if he did not take the medicine, his infection may become full blown in the future.

I did not tell the doctor that he had primary complex when he was 6 yrs. old, had undergone 6 months medication, took three medicines-rifampicin,isonizid and another medicine which I cannot remember now. After 6 mos.,his doctor told me that he had been cleared of primary complex and should stop the medication.

He also had taken salbutamol cough syrup, and antibiotics when he was 8 yrs old, because he had asthmatic cough attacks according to the doctor. He grew up taking a lot of medicine, and I'm afraid of giving him isoniazid now, cause it may damage his liver.

Is it possible that primary complex or TB infection may recur after being infected and treated in the past? Would it be possible to have positive mantaux test because of a positive test in past? Should I give him the prescribed isoniazid now though he had been cleared of primary complex before.

Please help. Thank you and God bless.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:59 am

User avatar Hello mom123,
The swelling in your son's neck was most probably a lymph node. Has it disappeared by now?
The second swelling that appeared on his head may not be a lymph node(i did not understand its exact location from your account).
In infants & small children, palpable cervical, axillary and inguinal lymph nodes may be a normal feature(unlike in the adults).Nodes upto 1.5 - 2cms may be considered normal in this age group(unlike in the adults).
I suggest that you should first consult a pediatrician who will be able to assess and refer your son for a surgical consultation only if necessary.

|