Question: Blood pooling in hands and fingers

dpye111 - Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:35 pm

My Son who is 14yrs, 6'2', 145lbs, diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, undergoing further testing with an Endrocrinologist now. Well I have noticed that when he stands with hands by his side all the blood pools to his hands and fingers. Color is very red of course, only when he stands with arms by his side. When he is sitting with arms crossed and such this doesn't happen. Also it doesn't happen to his feet or toes. This has just recently started. On my side of the family there is history of heart disease as well as the Thyroid issues. What could be causing this? His extremities are long. Thank you
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:38 pm

User avatar Hi Dpye111,

There are a few things that may be contributing to this happening. First, with taller people, the blood must travel further to get back to the heart. When the arms are hanging by the side, the blood is more affected by gravity making it harder to get the blood back to the heart (slightly). This can cause some increased pooling of blood in the hands. This is not particularly dangerous since most people don't have their hands hanging completely still for prolonged periods. Any movement will contract the muscles and help "squeeze" the blood back to the heart.

Also, with the hyperthyroidism issue, the vessels may actually be dilating some to help reduce the body temperature and keep it cool. This can cause the blood vessels in the hand to hold more blood and give them the red color you are seeing.

I suspect that in your son's case it is likely a combination of the two. This is not a dangerous thing, only a cosmetic issue.

|