News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 16 Month old Vomiting

athenahollow - Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:45 pm

My daughter started vomiting 3 hours ago. Anytime she drinks or eats anything, it comes back up in less than 15 minutes.
We have tried milk, crackers, water, pedialyte, breast milk and a pedialyte popsicle.

All came right back up.
I'm worried about her getting dehydrated, as she can't keep anything at all down.

She's only vomited 2 times before tonight, and both times it was a one shot thing and she could nurse without an issue.

There is no fever present, in fact, everything seems rather normal other than the fact that she hasnt really left my lap since about an hour before she started vomiting. But she's not really fussy, and I checked her tummy, she didn't react as though there was any tenderness or pain.

Is there anything I can do, and when should I call her doctor.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:35 pm

User avatar Hi Athenahollow,

These vomiting illnesses are very common in children. Most likely it is due to a virus. It may also be possible that she also has a bit of food poisoning.

Typically the vomiting part of these illnesses only lasts for a day or so. Diarrhea may set in after this also.

For your daughter, I would recommend she not take anything by mouth for about 2-3 hours. After this, begin giving clear fluids like pedialyte or juice but only in small amounts, even as small as 5-10 mls (1-2 teaspoons) every 10-15 minutes.

For an average sized 16 month old, taking in about 2 ounces an hour will prevent dehydration so it doesn't take much. As she is tolerating these amounts larger volumes may be given.

In some cases, even this small amount isn't enough. if she is unable to tolerate this volume I would recommend you take her to her doctor or the emergency room. She may need some IV fluid to help her get through this.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here