Question: weight gain and night sweats

jacluc - Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:52 pm

Hi, my son is 5 and a half years old. He had gross motor and social/emotional delays caused by an unknown reason. He was born very large, 10 pounds 8 ounces and 22 and a half inches long. He is now about 68 pounds and over 4 feet tall. Every year around this time he goes through about 2-3 months of weight gain and night sweats. A month ago he weighed 65 pounds and is now about 68 and a half. He sweats terribly at night and wakes frequently throughout the night. After a few months it all goes away. Every year I go into a panick about it and this year I am keeping in mind this is his usual. He has been tested by an endocrinologist and everything was normal. Do you see any reason to worry?

Nicole
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:02 pm

User avatar Hi Jacluc,

I would recommend you see his pediatrician to have a general evaluation. I would suggest he have his thyroid levels tested, and a complete blood count. If there is suggestion of something going on with these tests further evaluation should be done.

Otherwise, if he has this cycle every year he is probably just fine.

jacluc - Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:46 am

Thank you for responding. I will be calling my doctor tomorrow. I just have one more question. When we went through this weight gain and night sweats last year, I was sent to an endocrinologist who did not seem concerned at all. He ran thyroid tests and they came back negative. After that my pediatrician didn't seem concerned either and eventually the weight gain stopped as did the night sweats. My son had a physical at the end of July and he weighed 61 pounds and was about 3 feet, 11 inches. I weighed him yesterday and he is now 70 pounds. He has gained 9 pounds in 5 months with no change to his diet at all. He is not a junk food eater, by choice, he prefers healthy foods. He does eat a lot of pasta in his diet but no more than he was before the weight gain. I believe he has grown an inch or so in this same time but not enough to substantiate a 9 pound gain. He was born 10 pounds 8 ounces and was 22 and a half inches long. He has always been big, his head, hands and feet are huge and because of this along with his hypotonia and developmental delays a family friend who is also a pediatritian suggested the possibility of Sotos Syndrome. I am just concerned that my pediatrian is over looking something that might be wrong and not taking my concerns seriously. At the rate he is going he will 80 pounds before he hits 6 years old. Any suggestions on a different approach to this that I haven't tried? I feel confident that it is not his diet as he eats less than any other child in our family and is more than twice their size. I would appreciate any help you can offer.

Nicole

|