Question: My 2 year old is sick AGAIN!!!!!!

llm8221 - Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:02 pm

So, my 2 year old is sick with what appears to be a cold. A few weeks ago he had a cold with a low grade fever for one day. He never seemed to feel too bad. Then last week he was cold free. He did have a cough last week, but it was dry cough and i am 99% sure it is from our house being too dry. I was coughing like it too and do not feel sick at all. Anyway, after his week break he got sick again with another cold. Although this time he had a fever yesterday and today, but again low grade. And he woke up this morning without the fever when the fever reducer should have worn out a while ago. The fever today did not kick in until 11:30. I know you will probably tell me to call his doctor and i'm sure i will if he wakes up tomorrow like he was today, but i just know so many doctors are like here it is a sinus infection have an antibotic(sorry, no disrespect)

I wanted to add, that he got lots of viruses last year and his ped said that it is common to get another viruses after one is finished when they are so young. And my son still puts EVERYTHING in his mouth
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:15 pm

User avatar Hi Llm8221,

You are correct that it is very common for children to get one infection right after another. In fact, children his age get an average of 12-15 colds a year, almost all of which are in the winter. This basically means that just as they are getting over one, they get another one. The good news about this is that children who get a lot when they are young get sick less when they are older.

So, should you call your doctor? Maybe not. If your son has a mild fever but is otherwise OK it is very reasonable to give him some time to get better. Reasons to call your doctor or have him seen would include: high fevers, continued symptoms for more than 5-7 days, signs of dehydration (decreased urination, return of color in the nailbeds taking more than 2 secs when they are pressed), or if something comes up that concerns you.

|