News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 9 month old bottle refusal

jdovaston - Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:21 am

Baby not been keen on drinking from early age. refused breast at 6 weeks, always had adversion to bottle due to reflux and allergies. Now on neocate formula, Had been drinking well for 3 weeks.... then got ear infection and wont go near a bottle. Is there a way to encourage him to drink or has he just weaned himself?
 llm8221 - Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:03 am

Not a medical professional here, just a mother, but i'd try a soft spout sippy cup. I have friends kids who just refused the bottle and it meant they wanted a sippy cup. It wouldn't hurt to try
 jdovaston - Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:48 pm

Thanks, we've been trying this but he just doesn't seam to be having enough... only around 20ml then he's sick of it and pushes the cup away. I've just tried giving him a 'dreamy feed' durring his morning nap, he woke slightly but took 120ml before turning away.... this may be progress if we keep doing this, he may realise it isn't going to hurt him. Thanks for your posting.
My fingers are crossed.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:29 pm

User avatar Hi Jdovaston,

You mention that your son had reflux symptoms. If these symptoms are ongoing it may be the reason he is not wanting to eat much. Sometimes treating the reflux can dramatically improve feeding. I have seen this to be the case with several of my patients.

I would recommend you talk with your doctor about your son's feeding difficulties to see if reflux may be the reason.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here