News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Psychogenic Vomiting/symptoms

dst - Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:39 pm

Hi there,

I am having some trouble finding sources on this subject, as I think the occurance is not common.

My 5 year old niece ( female ) will show psychosomatic symptoms when she hears or observes anyone ill or injured.
A recent example: At the hospital visiting a friend whom had recent triple-A repair, the attending was talking in a consult room about the surgical procedure of the lower aortic repair ( nothing too verbally graphic ). My niece started to get agitated, pale, diaphoretic and she requested we stop talking about the procedure. We exited the room and she no sooner vomited.

She will experience these symptoms anytime someone is sick, or even if we talk about medical things ( to include dental procedures or simple normal conversation as anyone else would have )

The only thing I can figure out as the origin, is that when she was 3-4 years old, she observed a family member vomiting and feeling ill from the flu. My niece watched for a minute, just staring. We tried to get her attention during this, and ended up physically removing her, as if she was mesmorized.

Ever since then, she would react negatively from anyone who is ill. Otherwise, she is a normal acting 5 year old.

All history is clear, no medical or developmental issues, typical household, nurturing family environment. Which, makes this confusing for me.
We plan on discussing this with our pediatrician in the next appointment

Any ideas, links or resources to help us understand this would be wonderful!

Happy Holidays, and be safe out there!
DsT
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:28 pm

User avatar Hi DsT,

There is not much information available on psychogenic vomiting. Some children simply are very empathetic and can react in the manner you are describing to disturbing information. Your niece may simply find medical information unpleasant and react by getting ill. Many people have basically this same reaction and pass out (for example, at the sight of blood). The reaction is basically identical. Most likely she will get better with this as she gets older. It may be helpful to talk with her pediatrician about this to see if there are any other medical concerns, although it doesn't sound like there are.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here