Question: 11 1/2yo dx c Autism (aspergers)

Just Us two - Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:08 am

Why is it that after all these years of me being told that my daughter is manipulative that all of a sudden she is autistic... I happen to disagree with the findings..... I still believe she is manipulative... although sometimes she doesn't act her age... I sometimes wonder if it had to do with me... I was a single parent her entire life until recently and I found myself getting very angry and yelling at her for little things from about the age7 or 8 and it was occassionally when she was 5yo. I wonder if it was me that did the damage. Now I noticed she will purposely do things to me or other people for the negative attention.... the school says no that isn't what she is doing.... but who really knows my child....ME! SO I am confused on how they can all of a sudden just dx my daughter.
ALso she tests on the aims and other tests nation and state wide in the top 5th student very very smart... she started reading and writing at 2yo fluently...she is creative with objects and writing.... she has friends..... although she will tend to bark or meom like a cat when she feels threatened.... she is still voiding in the night.... I think its because she cannot tell... when she does not get caffeine at night befor ebed she does not have accidents....
What do you think??? I had a psychologist look at her when her fathers mother tried for 2yrs to get custody of her... she had not seen her in about 5 years and she has not seen her dad in 10yrs.... they psychologist stated it was the grandmother causing her to act that way.... I just don't know what to think... We ar enow having to transfer from another school because the charter school says they don't have the resources... I went and spokje with the other school and thye also disagree with her autism dx... they want to kjnow why she needs help... I said she didn't she just needed a push with doing her work.... again a manipulative thing....
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:54 pm

User avatar Hi Just Us Two,

From what you are describing I would say that there are a few possible things going on. First, you may certainly be correct that your daughter has decided that the way she will get attention is through negative behavior. This can lead to some very destructive behavior. This may not be the only thing going on, though.

From what you have described autism doesn't come to mind; however, the diagnosis of autism is fairly complex. It's diagnosis should be made by someone with experience. If there is one in your area the best person to have evaluate your daughter would be a developmental pediatrician. Developmental pediatricians specialize in disorders such as autism. Autism itself is in a spectrum of disorders known as the autistic spectrum and ranges from very mild symptoms to very severe symptoms. Asperger's is in this category and tends to be a bit milder than classic autism.

One of the hallmarks of these disorders is social issues. For example, autistic children tend to not interact much with anyone unless it serves their needs. They tend to not have a desire to share emotions with others or involve others in their daily routines unless they need them to accomplish their goal.

If a developmental pediatrician is not available, seeing a psychologist is a reasonable approach. If one is available with experience in childhood disorders like autism this would be better.

Just Us two - Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:02 pm

Thank you so much for your reply.... I agree with you... there is someone at our university that can see her so I will take her there. She has friends... she tends to be a little rough with them... but she does socialize..that is why I personally do not think that is what she has... thanks again for your advice.

|