Question: Chest pain and breathing trouble - age 15

kshamrock12 - Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:50 am

I am 15 years of age and weigh 145lbs, I have a blood pressure of 187/86 which is not ideal considering "normal is 120/80 I have a major health concern and I am not quite sure how to go about asking my doctor. I will start with my breathing trouble. If I lay on my back the pressure on my heart and lungs is so great that I cannot breathe and I have to quickly turn over and gasp for air. Commonly when I wake up in the morning breathing is a painful excersize for me because the pressure is so great. Another thing is I have a very difficult time taking full breaths and when yawning I am deprived of oxygen and cannot get enough in. I have to try with all of my power to get that air into my lungs, and once its in it doesnt stay long. Even when doing physical activity when I breathe in the air it is like standing outside when it is -35 degrees because the air feels so cold going down my throat. My doctor at first believed it was indigestion and prescribed prevacid but that did nothing for me.

My other problem is extreme heartburn to the point where I need to throw up. I am not sure what the best medication is for this.

My other concern is that sometimes when I talk, to me it almost sounds like I am underwater. It is only occasionaly but trying to talk when it sounds like your underwater is not easy. It is most commonly in my right ear but sometimes in my left. I also have an extremely hard time hearing what people are saying and it becomes embaressing having to say "what?" all the time. At the same time though my ears are very sensitive to sound, we have assemblies at school and I can just feel my ear drums bouncing all over in there. I have always had bad but sensitive hearing. Like I said, it occurs at random throughout the day and sometimes never in a day.

Finally, this may be common but I don't know. My mouth produces unbelieveable amounts of saliva and I have to swallow every 5-10 seconds. Swallowing is very difficult for me as well. Swallowing saliva is more of a task and I have to think about it before I do it and time it just right. It is embaresing because when I swallow it causes me to shake slightly because thats how mych force it takes to get it down. I had to go to the dentist today and it took double the time it should have just because of the saliva. Swallowing food is even worse for me, I have to plan exactly when I do it and how I am going to.

Even as I yawn now I am having an extremely hard time getting the air I need and I feel as though I cannot breathe.

There is no way I will feel comfortable talking to my mom about this, so I would like your advice on what you think this could be. I have begun thinking that I may need a shunt (spelling?) put in to drain the fluid out of my ears that is there. Now that you have heard half of my problems please help.

I would prefer you send what you think to kshamrock12@yahoo.com for me to read. Thank you for your time.

Kodie, age 15
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:21 am

User avatar Hello Kodie,

Breathing problems should never be ignored. They can signal asthma, pneumonia, heart problems and other conditions. You do need to have all your symptoms evaluated. They may not be related but should all be addressed. You definitely need to talk to your parents about this. Because teens are so independent it is easy for a parent to not realize there is distress and pain going on. Please talk with them and be totally open and honest about all your symptoms. I'm sure they will help you seek the medical attention you need. If they do not respond for some reason, speak to a trusted relative or school counselor or nurse.

Ears can become plugged with earwax deep in the canal. This can be removed by a doctor's staff and it might be all that is causing the hearing difficulty. Your serious heartburn should also be treated because serious damage can occur to the esophagus due to acid reflux if it is not controlled.

I wish you luck in dealing with these perplexing problems. Let us know what you find out. Best wishes.

|