Question: Skin bubble on 2 month's head

dolson - Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:30 am

My two month old baby has a quarter sized bubble on the crown of her head. I saw it for the first time last night. The only way I can describe it is to say it looks like a section of her skin is no longer in contact with her skull; I can't tell if it is air or liquid under the skin. At this time, it is normal colored and does not seem to bother the baby. What might have caused this and should I be concerned?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:07 pm

User avatar Hi Dolson,

I would recommend you have your baby evaluated by her doctor soon. There are a few possibilities, some of which may actually be fairly severe. One possibility is that this is a herpes lesion (although this would be quite big for this). Herpes in this age group can be very dangerous.

Sometimes a staph. skin infection can also cause this. These often need antibiotics to clear up.

It may also be a simple blister that has formed from a little bump to the head.

dolson - Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:02 am

Good Morning Dr. Lowe.
Thank you for your reply; it really helped me feel more confident in my instincts. We have an appointment scheduled for Monday. Thanks again!