Question: overmedicated thyroid and breastfeeding

mommy - Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:48 pm

If my thyroid is overmedicated, will it impact my breastfed 4 month old?

Age: 39
Weight: 152 (138 pre-pregnancy)
Height: 5'5"
Gender: Female
Health: excellent
Medication: Levyoxl
Blood Pressure: normal (on the lower side of normal)

My doctor upped my dosage of levyoxl while I was pregnant. I have been taking levyoxl for hypothyroidism for 7 years. When my levels were checked after the birth of my son, I had become hyperthyroid. I feel so much better with the higher dosage and have no symptoms of hyper or hypo. I really want to stay with this dosage because I feel SO much better and have no side effects.

My only concern is for my son. Please let me know if this medication or my hyperthyroid condition could impact my 4 month old breastfed son.

Thanks.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:13 pm

User avatar Congratulations on your decision to give your baby the best by breastfeeding. I hope you will continue to do so through the first year of life.

Thyroid hormone replacement, when provided in proper dosage level, crosses into breast milk in only minute quantities, and has no adverse effect on the baby. It is important that you take your medication as prescribed because if you had too much - in an amount to give you HYPERthyroidism, more would be passed to the baby. But, if your dosage is keeping you in the therapeutic range, you have nothing to worry about.

For more information about drugs and breastfeeding see Medications' and Mothers' Milk by Thomas Hale, PhD

Best wishes

|