Question: 4 year old with horrible breath?

momneedshelp - Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:40 pm

I hope this doesnt sound weird, but we all have noticed my 4 year olds breath = it has been horrible the past two months all of a sudden. He has no cavities and was recently seen by the dentist. Any thoughts or ideas? He has no pain, no symptoms - but its horrible! It is always possible he could have what I have, (celiac sprue) but he has no real symptoms of it and was tested already. (but would that cause the terrible breath?) The only thing that is not normal is his stool has never been formed, like my other sons (or ours). It is soft, light in color, and looks like theres air in it and mushy. It does take him a while to have a bm but he has never cried of pain or menitoned pain and I have asked him. Nor has it ever been very bad smelling. He did have a large belly button at birth, an outy that finally went in, but other than that, he has had normal yearly checkups and in good health. Thanks for any thoughts, ideas etc.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:39 pm

User avatar Hi Momneedshelp,

There are several possible causes of chronic bad breath (halitosis). These include chronic sinusitis, gastroesophageal reflux, dental cavities/abscesses and some really rare genetic diseases.

Conditions like celiac disease or other digestive problems could cause changes in the stool but are less likely to cause bad breath since the issue is beyond the stomach.

I would recommend you have your son see his pediatrician for an evaluation of this issue. This way the multiple reasons can be narrowed down some and a solution can hopefully be found.

|