Question: My 7 year old daughter has bad headaches.

djd300 - Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:36 am

My 7 year old daughter has really bad headaches usually 3 times a week. In the last month they have really been getting worse. She cries and then after about an hour she vomits. She does say that they occur on one side of her head. Sounds like mine when I have one. I have migranes and tension migranes. I'm wondering if she has them too. Last year we told her doctor they put her on this medicine that she refused to take because it was so bad. It was black and they could not flavor it. Do you think it is a migrane or an underlying problem?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:20 pm

Either way, you should have this evaluated because headaches in a 7 year old are not typical. If you have access to a pediatric neurologist, it would be great to have her seen. At any rate, you should explain to your family doctor that the headaches continue and that she was unable to tolerate the prescribed medication. Take a log of her headache history with you and give the doctor a complete history and description of what happens with the headaches. At least you could maybe find a pain reliever that could help relieve her suffering.

Good luck. Please let us know what you find out.

|