News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 17 month old - recurrent fever

kimmad - Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:09 pm

Hello,
I have a 17 month old son, for the last few days he has spiked a fever (over 102) in the afternoon and evening only. He's been fine in the morning and early afternoon, then about mid afternoon suddenly his temp spikes and his whole body gets red/flushed. Tylenol did not bring it down at all, ibuprofen slightly. He's not sleeping well or eating very well either. He's also very constipated.

By sometime in the middle of the night, his fever goes down to completely normal, and upon checking in the morning (rectally) it's 98.7.

I find this odd...any thoughts?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:50 pm

User avatar Hello Kimmad,

With only a few days of fevers, most likely this is simply a viral illness that will pass in a few days. Often, fevers are worse in the evenings with viruses. I'm not exactly certain of the reason but I suspect it has to do with daily fluctuations in the body's hormones.

If he begins to develop other symptoms, such as joint pain or red, irritated looking eyes I would recommend he see his doctor since there are a few other things that can present with fevers and rashes in the evening, such as systemic onset juvenile idiopathic arthritis.

Best wishes.
 kimmad - Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:00 am

About a week after I wrote this, (and by the time it actually got posted), my husband and I developed Strep Throat. So, I had the little guy tested, and sure enough, that was his problem. Although by then the fevers had gone away, he was throwing up for 3-4 days. His rapid strep test came back positive within seconds, so I'm pretty sure he had a nasty case. Hopefully we caught it before any complications could arise.

Thanks for your reply.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:56 pm

User avatar Hello again,

It's good to hear your son is doing better. The dreaded complication of strep infections is rheumatic fever and rheumatic heart disease. Children aged 17 months do not get this complication. It does not begin to develop until children reach 4 or five years old. Most pediatricians would treat a child for strep throat beginning at age 3 to be sure the complications do not develop.

Your son should be just fine.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here