News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 1 year old-diarrhea and throwing up with No Fever

DeLovelyEmma - Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:58 am

Hello,

My daughter is 18 months old. She has been throwing up for a week now. She stopped for 2 days and then the diarrhea started... Then i gave her milk for the first time in a week. She threw up about 3 hours later. She has not had a fever this whole time, my father and I had the same problems as my daughter so we thought it was a bug going around because we all live in the same house and we got over it within a few days.

My daughter's symptoms are going on to long. She is barley eating and i am giving her pedilite for breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner, and every time shes thirsty. Shes been using it for 3 days now. I am constantly handing her food like crackers to snack on. Tonight is the first night in 2 days she threw up again. I think its because i gave her milk when she was getting over this thing.

She plays around like normal and doesn't act sick barley at all.

Should i take her to the doctors or wait it out? Do you think there's something seriously wrong or just a bug going around? What do you think it is?

Thanks in advance!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:43 pm

User avatar Hello DeLovelyEmma,

It may be that your daughter did have a GI bug that was causing her emesis and diarrhea initially. In some cases when children get a GI bug and diarrhea for several days, the enzyme that breaks down milk (lactase) gets washed away due to the diarrhea. It can take about a week for this enzyme to replenish. Sometimes it is helpful to avoid dairy products during this time.

It may be that this has happened to your daughter and the milk gave her an upset stomach again.

If she is not getting better in the next few days I would recommend she be seen by her doctor. If diarrhea is continuing for more than a week the chances of there being a bacterial infection or other cause beyond a virus begin to go up.

Best wishes.
 DeLovelyEmma - Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:03 pm

Thank you very much :) She is showing no symptions now, i think she got over it...

Is it still unwise to give her milk? How long should i wait?

Thanks again!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:03 pm

User avatar Usually, after about a week with no symptoms the milk enzymes have had plenty of time to replenish. At that point it should be safe to reintroduce diary. Start slowly. There are cases of actual lactose intolerance that develop in children so if she begins to have problems again after reintroducing milk it may be that she is actually lactose intolerant.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here