News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Two Sons that I can't seem to keep well

dpiercedpierce - Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:13 pm

I have two sons (2 and 6). Since 2008 began, I have had both of my sons to the doctor more than 3 times. They have been taken to our family doctor each time because they were running a fever above 102. They have been given antibiotics for earaches and infections twice, and given anticongestion medicines each time. She tells us that my six year old will probably need his tonsils out this summer...because they are swolen. Also, they (as well as my husband and myself) have both had a stomach virus about two weeks ago. They have both only been well for less than a week after our last visit to the doctor. Today, my three year old is throwing up and has diarrhea. My six year old is running 102 fever. I am at a loss for what is causing them to be so sick. Is there a possibility that something in my home could be causing these problems, or could it be something else? Thanks for any advice or help. I just want my boys to be well. Thanks.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:07 pm

User avatar Hello Dpiercedpierce,

What you are describing actually sounds pretty normal in terms of colds that children get. When children get sick it lowers there immune system (basically distracts it) so that they are more likely to contract another illness. This is the reason that young children often seem like they are constantly ill.

As the summer arrives, most of the respiratory illnesses begin to subside so it gives a chance to recover. Regarding the tonsillectomy, there are only a few true indications now for removal of the tonsils. Be sure to discuss with your child's doctor and the surgeon about the indications for the tonsillectomy and if it really is needed. (I'm not saying it isn't but be sure to inquire about this since most of the time the illnesses you have described would not necessarily be an indication for a tonsillectomy.)

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here