Question: My son has jaundice for over a week already!!

lapatota - Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:50 pm

My name is patty, and i just gave birth to a boy a week and three days ago. My son was born with jaundice and the doctor already did blood test on him two times. The first it had a level of 14.3 and the second time of 13. Whatever that means. He told me the second time that he was going to be ok. that just to keep an eye on him. I have put him in undirect sunlight for the past couple of days, but he still is a little yellow. My question is that how long could it take for this to go away completly?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:03 pm

Congratulations on the birth of your son.

As you know jaundice is quite common in newborns and it sounds like it is running its course. Usually it takes up to two weeks to resolve. The most important thing you can do is be sure the baby is getting plenty of feedings, preferably at the breast. He excretes the excess bilirubin in the stool so he must have nutrition coming in to get it out. Newborns need to feed frequently - as often as every 1.5 to 3 hours with up to five hours at night.

|