News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 10 yr old male with retention problems

lala0227 - Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:10 pm

We gained custody of my 10 yr old stepson at this time last year. His school attendance record had been spotty, at best. We are having several problems, but they are like none I have ever heard of. If can help me put it in some perspective I'll be better prepared to present this to his doctor.
-I have taught him subtraction over 20 times, he does not remeber how to do it.
-He memorizes his spelling words and passes the tests, cannot spell them the next week.
-He memorized his multiplication tables, cannot work 2 column problems, cannot tell you what multiplication tables are for, has been shown and taught this numerous times.
-He has absolutely no idea what science is, what the concept is.
-Cannot read anything and summerize an answer to a question about what he read.
-I have taught him to tell time several times and he cannot remember how to do it.
-Plays by himself when there are numerous children outside, he is very small, very pale and doughy, cannot run very far without getting winded.
-His speech is soft and inflected with babyish,feminine tones.
My children are tall, athletic, play outside till they are forced to come in. I don't want him to be a potato, I want to help him, but the problems he has I think are more than I can help him with. He was 2 months premature, mother had done drugs, but minimal oxygen deprevation at birth.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:14 pm

User avatar Hello Lala0227,

I would recommend you have your son evaluated by a developmental pediatrician. These pediatricians specialize in disorders of development and personality. The things you are describing may range from something such as an isolated learning disorder to one of the the autism spectrum disorders.

Many states also require the school system to evaluate for learning disorders upon request from a parent. This does vary some from state to state so you may want to look into this option as well.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here