News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 11 year old says tongue burns when she runs?

sarabeesara - Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:02 pm

My fifth grade daughter complained this morning that, in p.e. when they run on the track, her tongue always feels like it's on fire!

I've never heard of such a strange symptom. Should I take her to the dr. prior to her annual mid summer physical for camp?

thx
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:30 pm

User avatar Hello Sarabeesara,

It may be that she is feeling a sensation of increased pressure from an elevated blood pressure. As you probably know, exercise can increase the blood pressure some. This pressure transmitted to the tongue could cause a feeling of pain.

The other possibility is that she is getting a bit dehydrated causing some decreased blood flow to her tongue. This could cause her to have the feelings of burning. Increasing her fluid intake may help with this.

If this gets worse or isn't getting better I would recommend she see her doctor just to be sure everything is OK. It is unlikely anything bad is going on but a check up will help be sure.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here