Question: 7 week old Ankle Injury

mia7770 - Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:24 pm

Hi, I'm a 34 year old healthy woman with an ankle injury. I've had it for a little over 7 weeks now. And I'm still on crutches. I've tried to walk on it but the pain is unbareable. I injured it stepping down into a hole and my left ankle twisted inward to the right and I heard a popping sound. It swole up almost immediately to the size of a baseball on my outter ankle bone, my toes swole so much I wasn't able to move them. My whole foot had a bruised coloring to it. The X-rays showed no break. Ultrasound has ruled out a blood clot and Doppler shows adequate blood flow. The Ultrasound and Doppler were within the last couple of weeks. My foot stays a redish somewhat blue color. The bottom of my foot and my toes have a pins and needles pain when pressure is applied. Each side of my ankle has sharp shooting pain if i try to put my foot down and put weight on it. It also hurts across the top of my foot and upwards onto my leg. My big toe feels pressure in it like someone is squeezing it, and sometimes like it's being pushed down or up. I sometimes catch myself looking to see if I'm holding my toe down but I'm not. The swelling isn't nearly as severe as it was but it still swells some each day. The outter ankle bone is swolen and hard all the time but is not tender to the touch. My foot feels cold alot even if it isn't cold to the touch. It gets a tingly feeling in it alot of the time as if it were falling asleep. I can move my toes but it does hurt. I have limited motion of my ankle in moving it up or down and sideways, this also hurts. Is this just a bad sprain or could this be something more. Is there something that maybe I could suggest to a Dr. that maybe they did not think of or maybe did not know of. I can't keep living on crutches. I have 3 children and cannot keep up with them like this. I had a nurse friend of mine say I could possibly need an MRI to rule out more severe Ligament damage or Nerve damage. Please any information would be much appreciated.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:29 am

User avatar Hi mia,
If you are still having problems after 7 weeks, it certainly needs re-checked and re-xrayed for a starters. Sometimes breaks don't show immediately but do show up after a few days because of calcium deposits. Do yourself a favor and get it rechecked. Hope this helps. :)

|