Question: Teen daughter has two periods within three weeks

momoffive - Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:26 pm

My daughter will be turning 13 next month. She had been taking Adderall for three years up until this past January. She got her first menstrual period three weeks ago yesterday and it lasted three days. She then got another period last Monday (two weeks and two days after the first one), which has continued to last since then. It's been a while since I was that age and from what I do remember, my cycles weren't regular.
Is it normal to have two periods so close together? Her growth and development have been normal, considering her having been on medication for several years (she was on Metadate for a year before the Adderall and on Ritalin for a few weeks to begin with). She is of average height and weighs about 94 pounds.

I appreciate any feedback you can provide me with.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:03 pm

Erratic periods are the norm for a young woman just starting to have periods. This is nothing to be alarmed about. The classic situation is the girl going to camp for two weeks. She just had her period before leaving, thinking she is safe, only to get her period again while at camp. Of course she didn't pack supplies because she was sure it would not come. This happens frequently. The hormones just aren't yet regulated and typically she has enough estrogen to give her periods but is not yet ovulating (not in every case, but often) so the typical phases of her cycle with progestrone after ovulation is not happening. Her body is likely to do this for a couple of years, sometimes coming frequently and sometimes missing a period altogether.

Best wishes

|