Question: 4 year old with blue penis head

cElla - Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:18 pm

My four year old son was circumcised when he was born. He has always had an extreme sensitivity in that area during diaper changes and bathtime, but, recently I noticed when the skin is pulled back on his penis, the head or tip is a grayish blue color. It doesn't seem that it is painful, just real sensitive. Is it normal for it to be that way or could it be something serious? I once heard that the xtra skin can suffocate the head of the penis. Is this true? Please help!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:14 pm

This sounds like a normal appearance. Are you saying the color has changed from what it normally looks like? Of course you should discuss it with the child's pediatrician but I would not consider this an emergency situation by any means.

You do not have to worry about skin suffocating the penis or any other problem from that. The skin is loose in the flaccid state and it allows the changing penis shape that occurs with erection. Nothing special needs to be done.

henjen - Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:50 pm

My son is 9yrold and his penis was often turning blue-purple and it was later discovered that he was getting episodes of priapism and I was not aware that erections that last longer than 1 hour can strangle the penis causing it to look blue. I think you should take him to a urologist if he is getting long lasting erections. I was ignorant and thought this was just a normal thing for him.

|