News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Rectal Prolapse -16 mo old

SBH - Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:16 am

Hi

My daughter is 16 months old. She had recurrent constipation problems till she was 8-9 month old. I could breast feed her only for the initial 3 months post which she has been on formula due to my mastitis prob,
After she started on solids I encouraged her to eat lots of fruits & leafy veggies. She now passes stool everyday..though she always used to strain while passing stool even though the stool was not dry/hard
3 days back, while pooping, her rectum prolapsed. I was really scared on seeing this & rushed her to the pead who has put her on laxatives for a week post which he will take further course. But inspite of laxatives, her rectum still gets prolapsed when she passes stool. I am really scared.
She has a good amt of fibre in her diet...all fruits & veggies, green leafy veggies, lentils & loves water...is sipping water all day. I am really at a loss what to do.
Would appreciate if you can provide some help
Thanks
Sheetal
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:03 pm

User avatar Hello,
I understand your concern. Rectal prolapse in children is not uncommon, especially between the ages of one and three years. Sometimes rectal prolapse is associated with an underlying medical condition so your doctor should do a work up for any problem such as metabolic disorders that might be associated with this. If no problem is detected, in many children who experience this the problem resolves on its own, typically by the time the child is six years old. Sometimes surgery is done but this is not the rule.

What you can do: Push the prolapse back into place as soon as it occurs. Use a latex glove (available in drugstores) and lubricating jelly such as KY. When she is potty training, use a small potty chair that puts her low to the floor to avoid straining the muscles.

Everything you are doing with her diet and fiber supplementation is exactly right. Keep up the good work!

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here